Lawsuit challenging California Attorney General / Department of Justice policy that ignores the text of state laws and denies handgun sales to law-abiding people with both a Certificate of Eligibility & FFL03 (collector license).
Plaintiffs are arguing that:
- The DOJ’s Enforcement Policy Is Inconsistent With The Plain Meaning Of Section 27535.
- Legislative History Confirms That The Licensed Collectors’ Exemption Applies To The Purchase Of Any Handgun.
- Applying The Licensed Collectors’ Exemption To All Handgun Purchases Is Consistent With The Purpose Of The Statute.
- DOJ’s Enforcement Policy Incorrectly Interprets Federal Law.
- The Enforcement Policy Is An Invalid Underground Regulation.
Next step: Oral argument (date TBD)
Key Appeal Filings
8/7/17: Appellants' Reply Brief
5/20/17: Respondents' Brief
2/23/17: Appellants' Opening Brief